The Importance of ProteinOct 26, 2021
The first question that I always ask my clients is, “How is your protein intake?” This is crucial because so many people, both men and women, tend to undereat protein. It’s not intentional. It just may not be the first thing that you think of when you build your plate for meals or snacks. I listed several reason why protein is important below, and tip on how to take in more!
Protein is important for many reasons:
• Important for building and maintaining muscle.
• Helps replace worn out cells, transports various substances throughout the body, and aids in growth and repair.
• Increases satiation.
• Assists immune function, metabolism, and weight management.
• The recommended protein range is around .6g - 1.0g per pound of body weight.
Ways to get more protein:
• Identify your favorite protein sources.
• Include protein powder in a post workout shake or snack.
• Make sure to have a high protein breakfast so you’re not catching up all day!
• Have a high protein source at every meal, aim for at least 20-30 grams at each sitting!
• When making a recipe or ordering out… double the protein!
• Eat your protein first at each meal!
• Grab high protein snacks when hungry!
• Preplan your protein for the week!
• Pre-cook or batch cook protein for the week!
What’s optimal? To space your protein throughout your day than to try to get it all in at one time! So, whatever your protein goal is, divide that by the number of times you eat per day, such as 3 or 4. This will help you judge how much you need for each meal.
If you don’t use a tracking app or weigh your protein on a food scale, you can use hand portions to monitor your intake! An easy way to estimate your protein intake is with the palm of your hand for both men and women. This is approximately 22-24 grams of protein.
**If you want to add nutritional yeast to your diet for extra vitamins and minerals, make sure to look for a brand that is fortified. It’s a great supplement for those on a vegan diet as it contains B vitamins.Share this post:
Discover how to actually lose weight and keep it off while enjoying the foods you love in my 8 week 1:1 coaching course!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join my mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.